Thursday, June 6, 2019

Coloring with Pastels: Spellbinders Floating Feathers Stamp Set and Chilled Pastels by Jane Davenport



One of my favorite things about craft supplies is how darned PRETTY they are.  This probably explains the growing hoard stash of supplies in my craft room... I just can't resist gorgeous paints, papers, ribbons... and the list goes on.  One medium I'm not overly familiar with is pastels... although I've seen beautiful pieces of art created with pastels, they're a product I hadn't tried.  When Spellbinders asked me if I would like to try a new coloring medium from Jane Davenport, I jumped at the chance to try the Chilled Palette Pastels.  I couldn't get over how gorgeous the colors were, and I just love how they are packaged like an eyeshadow palette!  All of the coloring on my card project today was achieved by using just this palette and sponge daubers, and I am so thrilled with the soft, ethereal results.  

This was one instance where I was actually happy I didn't know any "rules" about using pastels, because I just started playing.  And I am hooked, particularly when it comes to how easy it was to make the most gorgeous backgrounds using pastels.  Some of you might know that I am severely impaired when it comes to ink blending... it is such a struggle for me to make backgrounds without streaks, smudges, and overall inconsistent results.  To make the background on my project today, I was aiming for a soft, sky-like look.  To achieve this, I used Bristol Smooth cardstock and a sponge dauber... I simply used the dauber to apply soft swirls of color all over my card base.  And let me tell you... it was almost impossible to make a mistake doing this.  The colors blended effortlessly and seamlessly.  It could not have been easier!  



I then created some pretty feathers using the Jane Davenport Floating Feathers stamp set, heat embossing the images in white on vellum.  I colored on the back of the feathers with some pastel crayons to give them some color.  I used one of my favorite Spellbinders floral die sets to create some flowers and leaves, coloring them again with sponge daubers and shades from the Chilled palette.  So pretty and so easy!  



I finished the card with a sentiment from Spellbinders Happy Expressions stamp and die set and some gems and sequins for some sparkle and interest.  I seriously cannot wait to create more backgrounds with these gorgeous pastels... if you struggle with ink blending like I do, I urge you to give this a try.  I promise you won't be disappointed!  

I hope you enjoyed this project!  Links to the products I used are below.  I participate in the Spellbinders affiliate program, which means that I receive a small commission from purchases made via the links I share.  Thank you so much for your support!  

5 comments on "Coloring with Pastels: Spellbinders Floating Feathers Stamp Set and Chilled Pastels by Jane Davenport"
  1. Amazing Article :) Im extremely affected by your blog.I’m happy that you simply shared this useful info with us.I am quite sure I’ll learn many new stuff right here!

    Kayak Guru

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this quality information with us. I really enjoyed reading.
    Hiking Gear

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice posting..thanks.
    Ijin..info investasi lahan keluarga di San Diego Hills memorial Park bebas biaya perawatan dan kebersihan selamanya klik
    Fishing Lab

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I appreciate the time you spent sharing your skills. All this time later, I've found it love the end result. ""Thank you for such a sweet tutorial - outdoor activitie camping habits outdoor activitie
    "

    ReplyDelete
  5. those wishing to carve stone, drill holes in beach pebbles, sea glass, beach pottery, broken china, wood carvers....Changing accessories is really simple. Make sure that the unit is not switched on and that it has stopped rotating. the list is endless. Great for DIY bits around the home and general craft work. family handy man oscillating tool oscillating tools work 10 facts diamond drill bits tipstools

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post Signature