Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Three Unexpected Ways with a Rainbow Die: My Favorite Things August Release



Hello, crafty friends!  I am so thrilled to be here today with three cards I made using My Favorite Things's new Rainbow Bright die from their August release.  If you'd like to see all of the lovely MFT & Friends creations featuring the new products, you can find MFT's post here

I LOVE a good rainbow die, and this one is my absolute favorite of all.  I love the thickness of this rainbow and how it is great for both portrait and landscape cards.  It is striking and perfect on its own, but I thought it would be even more fun to think of ideas how to make it even more interesting using embroidery thread.  I used it I kept thinking of different ideas... thus my three different projects here today!  


My first idea was to take the individual arcs and wrap them in embroidery thread to give the rainbow lots of texture and dimension.  This process was really simple.  I first colored the individual rainbow pieces using Copic markers in case I ended up with any gaps in my thread, thereby avoiding any white spaces showing through.  I then covered the back of each piece with strong double-sided tape.  Using all 6 strands of DMC embroidery thread, I started the process by sticking the end of the thread to the back of the die cut at the edge and then wrapping the thread around the arc.  This process went surprisingly fast and didn't use as much thread as I had initially thought (the largest piece used just under half a skein of thread).  I used some liquid adhesive at the edge to make sure the thread was nice and secure.



To finish this card, I created a panel using MFT's Cloud stencil and used the Stitched Clouds Die-Namics to die cut some vellum clouds.  I stamped my sentiment from the Hello, Beautiful stamp set onto one of the clouds and heat embossed it.  I added some stitching around the clouds and adhered them to the card.  I also added some grass with MFT's new Tucked-In-Turf Die-Namics, dotting some floral sequins here and there.



For my second card, I did some straight-up and easy stitching to create my rainbow.  I used the rainbow pieces as stencils, tracing them onto a panel.  I masked off the rainbow and created a cloud background using the Cloud stencil.  I then colored the arcs in with Copic markers and did simple backstitching along the lines.  So easy!  I die cut the clouds with the Stitched Clouds Die-Namics out of white wool felt, again adding stitching along the edges.  I added my sentiment with the new Little Hello die, mounting it onto a translucent base of vellum.  Some sequins here and there and this card was finished!


My third card was definitely my most detailed.  Using the same technique as the second, I used my die cuts as stencils and created my colored rainbow on a background created again with the Cloud stencil.  I then die cut a cloud using the cloud from MFT's End of the Rainbow die set to create a shaker window.



This time, instead of stitching only the borders, I stitched the entire rainbow using a brick stitch.  This simple stitch is essentially a back stitch with the rows slightly staggered.  I wrapped the ends around the cloud and the edge of the card, using liquid adhesive to secure them.


I then backed my cloud with some acetate, added some cloud and clear sequins, and backed the card using foam tape onto a sky blue panel.  Some sequins and a "Hello" from the Little Hello Die-Namics and this card was finished!



I am so thrilled with this happy trio of rainbow-y goodness!  These projects were so much fun to make.  I am actually taking another rainbow panel on a plane ride with me soon - another brick stitch rainbow is definitely in order!  I'm thinking some pretty pastels next time.

I hope you enjoyed these projects today!  I am so thrilled to be a part of the MFT & Friends feature for this new release!  I'll be back soon with another crafty MFT project.  Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!
33 comments on "Three Unexpected Ways with a Rainbow Die: My Favorite Things August Release "
  1. WOW! your brick stitching is flawless! love this thread ideas! All of them are fabulous, thanks for the inspiration Leigh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a creative and fun twist you put on those cards, especially love the one with the cloud shaker, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jo! I'm so happy you like them!

      Delete
  3. OMG! What a neat and innovative way to add texture to your rainbows!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOWSERS!! All three cards are fabulous and your stitching is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant ideas! And... what patience to do all that stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! You are super creative!! Amazing cards, and all that stitching, you really have a lot of patience :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much work to make the colors. It is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look so perfect. You must have a LOT of patience. I could never do that. But it looks really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHAT?!? Did this take you forever!?!? Seriously beautiful but frame it don't give it way both are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am blown away by your threadwork here! Really amazing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my god! Such a unique and different cards.. loved your embroidery skills.. just wowww..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE stitching and these cards have me swooning! I bet they were are blast to make! Thank you for inspiration! I'm always looking for ways to add stitching to my cards!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I just love your unique design ideas! The vellum stitched clouds are my favorite. Thanks for sharing your fresh ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE rainbows and I LOVE all three of your cards! How ingenious! They all came out wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful, colorful cards. Your rainbows are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, amazing cards! So creative....
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow you are a stitching master! the different ways to use stitches is amazing. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your different rainbows are amazing! Love what a difference you got with the different ways of doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love your creative use of stitches and thread for your cards. These are just incredible techniques! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, such fabulous cards! So creative with the stitching - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome rainbow cards! Love the colors and textures!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your amazingly creative rainbow stitched cards - well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow your cards are gorgeous - love the shaker cloud!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So amazing the detail wow. Wonderful work

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love rainbows and stitching and you combined them perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post Signature