Sunday, December 15, 2019

Adding Colored Pencil Accents to Stamped Images: The Greetery's Pine Blossom Stamp Set



It probably comes as no surprise that if I had to choose one medium with which to make a card, it would be thread.  I cannot get enough of stitching on paper!  But more and more, I find myself drawn (no pun intended) to creating with colored pencils.  I absolutely LOVE coloring with pencils!  They give such soft, lovely results, and I love the control I can achieve with blending and shading.  I recently purchased the gorgeous Pine Blossom stamp set from The Greetery, and I knew the images were perfect for practicing my colored pencil skills.

I started this card by stamping my images in a simple base layer of ink.  I then added layers of colored pencils (using my favorite Faber Castell Polychromos pencils), starting (very) lightly by adding a base color over the image I was coloring.  I then added shadows with my darkest color so I knew where those deep areas would be.  I then went back to a midtone, blending between the lighter base color and deeper shadow shades.  All of this was done in light layers at first so I could make sure I liked where the highlights and shadows were placed.  Once I was happy with the initial layers, I started blending with a little more force to add more saturated color to the image.  This process was so relaxing and meditative!  And the results are just stunning (and easy to achieve)!  The image below shows what I started with and what the end result was after adding colored pencil.


Once I was done coloring all of my elements, assembling the card was easy.  I embossed a white panel with a knit texture embossing folder.  I added an aqua stitched rectangle in the center onto which I had stamped my sentiment and arranged the blooms around the edge.


A few sequins and this card was finished.  I am in love with these gorgeous florals... and I can't wait to keep experimenting with colored pencils on stamped images!


Links to the products I used are below.  I participate in the My Favorite Things affiliate program, which means that I receive a small commission at no cost to you when products I share through the links I provide.  I truly appreciate your support!

I hope you enjoyed this project!  Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll see you soon!


Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post Signature