Monday, December 23, 2019

Watercolor Floral Card with Scrapbook.com's Water Brushes



Hello and happy almost Christmas!  I'm so excited to be here today to share a project I made with Scrapbook.com's rounded tip water brushes.  When Scrapbook.com asked if I would like to try these brushes I jumped at the opportunity... I can never pass up the opportunity to try new art supplies!

I was thrilled to find that these brushes did NOT disappoint, and I actually found that I enjoyed watercoloring with them even more than using traditional paint brushes.  The set comes with three different sizes (fine, medium, and large tips), and each has a generous reservoir for water.  What I loved about using these brushes was that I could choose between squeezing the brush to release water into the brush, or I could dip the brush into a jar of water like I would with a regular paintbrush.  I alternated between these two techniques as I painted my project, squeezing the brush when I simply needed to add more moisture to the brush tip (and when I wanted to clean the brush, when I would squeeze the barrel and wipe the brush off onto a paper towel), and dipping the brush into a jar of water when I wanted precise control of the amount of water on my brush.



To create this project, I stamped my images from Altenew's Flower Garden stamp set onto watercolor paper.  I then used Altenew's Watercolor Pan set to watercolor my images.  Mixing the colors onto the palette, I started by painting a light wash of color all over the image.  I then layered deeper and darker colors on top in layers, concentrating my darkest shades where the shadows would be.  This process was so relaxing, and the brushes gave me amazing control over achieving the effects I was looking for.



I then cut out my images.  Because I wanted to avoid a white edge around my images, I ended up fussy cutting them with a pair of scissors right up to the stamp lines.  I decided on a dark gray cardstock panel and splattered it with some white gouache paint.  All there was left to do was arrange my florals into a pretty bouquet.  I die cut my "friend" sentiment from Carta Bella's Happy Day Words die set and my sentiment strip from Altenew's Needlework Motifs stamp set.  A few sparkly sequins and some quick french knots and this card was finished!



I truly loved working with these water brushes - I even ordered a backup set in case any of them go missing!  Links to the products I used are below.  I participate in the Scrapbook.com affiliate program, which means that I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you when products are purchased through the links I share.  I truly appreciate your support!

I hope you enjoyed this project!  I am so happy you stopped by today, and I'll see you again soon!


Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post Signature