Wednesday, March 14, 2018

I Can Make Cards Without Flowers on Them #1: Watercolor Feathers



To look at my Instagram page right now is to be bombarded with flowers.  I personally love it, but I realize that not everyone might appreciate my obsession fascination with florals.  So I have decided to challenge myself to start a series called “I Can Make Cards Without Flowers on Them.”  And here we are with card #1!  Watercolor feathers made with Altenew’s beautiful Golden Feather stamp set.  

This card took some tinkering before I found a method that achieved the look I was going for… slightly soft, but with texture and defined borders.  I pulled out my Spectrum Aqua watercolor markers and colored on the stamp, making sure to mix the colors and place them in different spots across the stamp (excuse the stained stamp… this one got a workout on this card):



Then I started playing.  To achieve a soft look, I tried wetting the paper with a brush (resulting in  images sometimes too soft, sometimes not soft enough) and misting the stamp (way too soft).  Then I tried misting the paper and blotting up a little of the water with a paper towel.  Bingo!  Just soft enough.  






After stamping the panel and letting it air dry, I embossed the images with Ranger Gold Tinsel embossing powder and added some gold splatters.  I then die cut the whole panel with My Favorite Things wonky rectangle die and stitched it up in gold thread.  I stamped and embossed an extra center image and popped it up.  Some Pretty Pink Posh gold sequins and it was finished!  



Here is a sample of some of my practice feathers.  This technique will likely vary a little depending on the markers and paper you use (I used Arches cold press 140 lb. watercolor paper).  It is fun playing around, and I’m looking forward to using this with different mediums. 




Have a great day… I am off to make something with a flower.  😂  


2 comments on "I Can Make Cards Without Flowers on Them #1: Watercolor Feathers "
  1. I love all of the flowers & stitching. Keep them coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I am inspired to try this, today!

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post Signature