Friday, July 27, 2018

Stitch Your Embossing Folders: A Christmas in July Card



Merry Christmas in July, my friends!  I'm just barely getting this card in under the July wire.  As strange as it felt to make a Christmas card in 85 degree weather, it made a lot of sense to stitch another of these cable knit cards and turn it into a holiday card since I had so much fun stitching up the first one.

I have a stash of embossing folders that, I have to admit, do not see the light of day very often.  They are so pretty and affordable that I often scoop them up, admire them, and then put them in a container where they languish away unnoticed.  Not anymore!  I was watching Jennifer McGuire's recent video on creative techniques with embossing folders when I was inspired to flip through my stash.  When I came across this Spellbinders Lumberjack Days folder, I had an a-ha moment that it would look beautiful with some hand stitching.

After embossing a panel using my Sizzix Big Shot, I started poking holes at the end of all of the embossed stitch lines.



I know some of you are thinking, "this chick is crazy."  But I promise you, it's not as tedious as it looks.  I was able to poke all of the holes relatively quickly... it is a great activity while you "watch" TV (watching TV while crafting, for me, usually consists of 90% listening and 10% actual watching... what should we call that?  Craftwatching? 😂).



After poking the holes, I found a skinny needle in my stash and got to stitching.  I used two strands of DMC embroidery floss for the middle cable knit section, and three strands for the sides.



After stitching up the background, I finished the card with my favorite Simon Says Stamp Fa La La die and Pretty Pink Posh's Festive Holly leaves and berries.  Some sparkling clear sequins and everything came together beautifully.




I hope you enjoyed this card and tutorial.  I have an idea... why don't we all go buy ourselves some crafty Merry Christmas in July gifts to ourselves?  A little "Merry Christmas to us?"  Who's with me? 😊

Links to some of the products I used are below.  I participate in several affiliate programs including Scrapbook.com and Spellbinders.  This means that I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you when products are purchased through links I share here.  Thank you for you support!


Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post Signature