Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Nordic Deer Cross Stitch Card on Altenew Cross Stitch Canvas (with free pattern!)



So I've been fighting off a nasty cold virus for about a week now.  The ONLY upside of being sick is that it forces me to slow down on the 8 million tasks or plans (give or take 😜) I have for myself every day and rest.  And what that means is stitching time!  This card is the culmination of a few days of doing nothing except developing a pattern, stitching, and coughing.  😷 

I knew I wanted to make a more intricate pattern, and Altenew's Cross Stitch Canvas die is perfect for this purpose.  I developed my design by taking various cross stitch images I found on Pinterest and assembling them into one pattern using the free www.stitchfiddle.com pattern maker.  I love using this site because it allows you to tailor your patterns to the exact dimensions of your die.

After that, all there was to do was start stitching!  I have a few tips for stitching projects using this die:

  • Use the heaviest cardstock you have on hand.  I used Neenah Solar White 110# for this card.  The cardstock is going to be pulled at quite a bit (especially with intricate designs), so the heavier, the better.
  • Enlarge your holes before stitching.  I used a paper piercer (Tim Holtz's ______ is perfect for this) to make the holes slightly larger before stitching.  
  • Use no more than two strands of floss.  Anything more will be a bear to get through all those little holes!  
I finished the card by heat embossing my sentiment from my favorite Holly Jolly Sentiments from Scrapbook.com on vellum because I didn't want to cover up any of the beautiful stitching.  



I've included my pattern here if you would like to re-create or adapt this card for yourself.  I hope you enjoyed this project and are inspired to make your own cross stitch projects.  I would love to see what you make!  


Links to the products I used to make this card are below.  I participate in the Scrapbook.com affiliate program, which means that I receive a small commission at no cost to you when products are purchased through the links I share.  Thank you so much for your support!


4 comments on "Nordic Deer Cross Stitch Card on Altenew Cross Stitch Canvas (with free pattern!)"
  1. www.stitchfiddle.com...I think this site is going to be my new best friend! Thanks for enabling me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Have fun, my friend! It is ADDICTING!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Hope you are feeling better soon! Thank you so much for sharing this. The card is beautiful! I look forward to checking out that website. Also appreciate the tips for stitching. Love the colors and theme of the card. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jeanne! I'm so happy you like the card. If you need any tips for using the pattern maker, let me know. :)

      Delete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post Signature