Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Enhancing Simple Die Cuts with Coloring: Spellbinders Die Club Kits Florals



Hello, everyone!  I am so happy you stopped by today because this card has my heart.  I had no plans to make this...  it was the result of having die cut too many pieces for some other cards and not having the heart to throw them out.  One cold, rainy night, some plain die cuts and some markers, and this card was born!  

I like die cutting florals out of white cardstock because I find it tedious to pull out lots of different colors (mostly because I don't like cleaning up lots of supplies, but that is a story for a different day). After making some floral cards with some past club kits from Spellbinders, I found myself looking at a pile of small white florals and foliage with no idea of what I wanted to do with them.  I pulled out my Copic markers and started coloring them in pretty shades of red, pink, and aqua, layering the flowers to create interest and dimension.  But the real fun came when I started to accent the flowers with a white paint pen and some fine liners.  I was amazed at how little dots could really add a touch of both realism and whimsy to these little blooms.  I had so much fun that I kept going, coloring and dotting until I had a pretty pile of botanical die cuts.  



Now, what to do with them?  I started lying them on top of different cardstock and was so happy with the way a dark charcoal gray really allowed the die cuts to shine.  I splashed the card base with some white gouache, die cut a little circular frame, and added my "hello friend" sentiment.  Then I started arranging.  Not wanting to waste any of my blooms, I created bunches of flowers until I was happy with their placement.  I secured them together using some Press and Seal and glued them together on the back so I wouldn't have to fiddle too much with glueing the individual pieces down.  



There's not much stitching on this card... just some simple hand-stitched sequins here and there.  I felt that the florals really deserved to steal the show here. 



I love it when a card comes together organically, with no plan or intention.  I rarely make cards this way (I am usually a girl with a plan, which may or may not come to fruition), but when I do, I am usually so pleased with the results.  This card just makes my heart happy.  



Links to the products I used are below.  I participate in the Spellbinders affiliate program, which means that I receive a small commission at no cost to you when products are purchased through the links I share  I truly appreciate your support!  

I hope you enjoyed this project and are inspired to create some colored die cuts of your own.  I would love to see them... be sure to tag me at @leighhouston11 on Instagram if you give this a try!  Thanks so much for stopping by and I'll see you soon!  

1 comment on "Enhancing Simple Die Cuts with Coloring: Spellbinders Die Club Kits Florals"
  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post Signature