Thursday, January 21, 2021

Ink to Paper's In Stitches: Tote Die - Assembly Tips and Tricks for Wool Felt Totes!


Hello, friends!  I am so happy to be here today sharing these two adorable tote bags made with the new In Stitches: Tote Bag die set from Ink to Paper!  I simply cannot stress enough how CUTE these little bags are.  And I also can't stop thinking about all the ways you can use them.  Not only are they perfect as packaging for gift cards and other small gifts, they would be absolutely perfect for baby showers, bridal showers, teacher gifts... oh, the possibilities!  


You can assemble these little totes with cardstock, but I thought they would be especially cute made with wool felt.  I started by die cutting all of my pieces from wool felt.  To add sturdiness and stability to the totes, I also die cut the front, back, and bottom pieces from 80# cardstock.  I trimmed a sliver off (approximately 1/8") of each side of these cardstock pieces and used a small amount of liquid adhesive to attach them to the coordinating wool felt pieces.  Note that I did not add cardstock to the sides of the totes; I wanted these to remain soft and pliable. 




Then came my favorite part: embellishing!  You can embellish with virtually anything you want.  For my first tote, I first added a simple chain stitch along both edges.  I then chose to XO Heart Frames die (die cut with two shades of green cardstock) and glued the embellishments to the center of the tote front with liquid adhesive.  I also added some sequins here and there and a tag I made with a sentiment from the Wreath Favor Box Sentiments stamp set (attached to the handle with a jump ring).



For my second tote, I die cut the To Die For Sentiments: Hello Beautiful sentiment from white cardstock and a pretty daisy from the Into the Blooms die set (adding a leaf from the Tag Creations: Blooming Indulgence die set).  I stitched on some sweet little leaves from the Tote Bag Accessories die and added some white daisy sequins here and there. 


I next attached the tote bag handles.  I used ribbon for my handles, which was pretty but too flimsy for the handles to stand up.  To remedy this, I used the handle die from the Tote Bag die set and die cut two strips of 80# cardstock.  I adhered these to the ribbon, which gave enough stability to keep the handles upright.  I then attached these to the insides of the front and back of the bags.  



To assemble the totes, I ran a thin bead of hot glue along the right inner edge of the front of the tote, adhering the side piece.  I then did the same thing again by running a bead of hot glue down the inside edge of the right side piece and adhering the back of the tote bag.  I followed the same process, next the bottom of the tote bag and then the final left side.  You may find it necessary to trim a bit of the bottom off the tote... I found that this made it easier to make all of the pieces flush.



Aren't these just the sweetest little totes?  I can't get enough of them.  I hope you enjoyed these projects; if you have any questions on how I assembled the bags, please drop me a comment and I'll be sure to get back to you.  Links to the products I used are above, and you can also find an incredible kit with felt and other accessories here.  Thanks so much for stopping by today and I'll see you again soon!  


  

Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post Signature