Friday, August 17, 2018

One Stamp Two Ways: Spellbinders Inked Messages with Stephanie Low



How cool are the new Inked Messages stamps from Spellbinders and Stephanie Low?  They are simultaneously beautiful and edgy… I just love them.  I was so fortunate to be able to create some projects with this gorgeous Grow Newer With Me stamp and die set.  I knew I wanted to create a bold, tattoo-like card with this set as soon as I saw it, but I also wondered if I could make a softer look using the same image.  So I set out to create two cards.  

For my first card, I stamped the image in a background pattern using black ink.  I wanted bright, vibrant color, so I first colored the images in with pink and green Copic markers.  I also wanted to shade my images, and for this I turned to Polychromos colored pencils.  I love the precision I can achieve by shading with colored pencils, which is something I struggle with when using Copics on smaller images.  I used 3 shades of pinks and reds and two shades of green pencils to add shading and dimension to the flowers and leaves.  

After finishing the coloring, I used the coordinating dies to cut out masks for the flowers and splattered the panel with black paint.  After stamping the sentiment on wood grain vellum, I attached it to the card with some stitching around the edge.  I added some black gems to finish it up.  I love the bold, striking look of this card.  



For my second card, I did a 180 and sought to achieve a soft, ethereal look.  I stamped the images in Versamark ink and embossed them with white embossing powder.  I then watercolored the images using Distress Inks (in Spun Sugar, Picked Raspberry, Twisted Citron, and Mowed Lawn).  After watercoloring the images, I added a watercolored background using Tumbled Glass Distress Ink.

I added stitching around the edge using my Celebrations Pierced Rectangle dies and a sentiment from Spellbinders Hugs Expressions stamp and die set.  



Sometimes it is amazing the completely different looks you can achieve with just one stamp set, and this set is such a great example of that.  I love both of these cards, but I would love to hear your thoughts... which do you prefer?  

Links to the products I used are below.  I participate in several affiliate programs including Scrapbook.com and Spellbinders.  This means that I receive a small commission at no additional cost to you when products are purchased through links I share here.  Thank you for you support!


Be First to Post Comment !
Post a Comment

Custom Post Signature

Custom Post Signature